Protect Your Family This Winter with Working, Properly Placed Carbon Monoxide Detectors
While your carbon monoxide detectors should be placed in all the appropriate areas of your home and working properly throughout the year, it is even more critical in the winter. Because carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, it is almost impossible to detect without a warning system before physical symptoms or death occur – leading to it being called the silent killer. In this blog, your Kalamazoo HVAC specialist, JP Heating & Air Conditioning will discuss carbon monoxide and why you are more likely to experience carbon monoxide poisoning in the winter.
If you have combustible fume sources in your home such as a gas stove, gas furnace, or generator, you are at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. So, with that being said, it’s probably not surprising that the winter carries more of a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning – because of the closed off environments we tend to spend time in while combustible fume sources are operating.
In addition, even when you have symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, you may just write them off as getting an illness like the flu or COVID. Like influenza, which is also more prevalent in the winter, carbon monoxide poisoning may give you a headache, make you feel dizzy and nauseous, or cause you to vomit – mirroring symptoms of a sickness you have had before. Believing your household has come down with a sickness, you continue to stay and sleep in your home while the carbon monoxide continues to be produced and poison you. Typically, people die from carbon monoxide poisoning while they are asleep.
We know this is very scary, but the great news is, carbon monoxide detectors can protect you and keep you safe! So, what can you do? The number one thing is to make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your house with a bedroom. You should also never operate appliances inside that belong outside, such as grills or generators. Your furnace should be inspected by a professional annually to ensure it is functioning properly.
For your carbon monoxide detector, make sure you know what sound signals a low battery (which should be replaced immediately) and what sound signals that there is carbon dioxide in your home. Once you hear the alarm that there is carbon monoxide, take your family outside and call 911 right away. If you feel like you may have the symptoms and are unsure of next steps, contact Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.
At JP Heating & Air Conditioning, we know the danger of carbon monoxide. We offer furnace checkups where we test for carbon monoxide and inspect areas in your furnace that are known to be a potential risk for carbon monoxide. We highly recommend a furnace check every year to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, mechanical failure, and to give your furnace a longer life. If you’re in need of a checkup, do not hesitate to contact us today!